[Hudlug] setting up a wireless router

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 15:07:27 BST 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> When I eventually get my wireless router, do I need to call BT and tell
> them I am changing from wired to wireless connection or not?

No, I don't see why you'd need to.  The part they're concerned with is the
same.  You connect via the filter to your router.  It's only from then on
that it is different.

> On the connection I have at present, i ran a CD which put certain
> settings for my BT Voyager MODEM on my desktop ie I think in the start
> menue I have something which relates to the BT Voyager so do these
> settings, icons or whatever need to be removed first or will these Icons
> and settings be ignored?

Don't really know.  I would have thought that if you weren't connected by the
Voyager it wouldn't attempt to use any of that.

> Also would any questions I might be asked for my Router be questions
> which I need to fill in with my current user information so I get my
> router out of the box and type in my current connection details for
> username and password into the wireless router or do I have to get BT
> which is my ISP to generate a new username and password for my new
> connection or whatever you might call it when you migrate from wired
> Broadband to a wireless Broadband?

Your account with BT is the same.  Your username and password will be the
same.  If you get your IP by dhcp from BT, the router will probably pick up
everything else it needs, without you doing anything more.  Most routers have
reasonable instructions with them - I recognise that you will need help in
reading them but I don't expect you'll have much problem understanding them.

HTH

Anne