[Hudlug] Re: No Internet with Netgear DG834G

Derek Allen dmallen at uku.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 22:16:29 BST 2007

Hi all,

Thanks for all your helpful comments and info. I checked everything out
and it was set up correctly so I decided to run the set-up disk again
and guess what? - it went straight through and connected seamlessly. The
only thing that I can think caused the failure first time was me typing
in the wrong username and password during the setup. When the box came
up I assumed it wanted my ISP login details. Second time I read the
preamble! There's a lesson there somewhere.

Chris and Anne's comments about PPPoA and PPPoE were informative. I had
manually configured it to PPPoA so when it configured automatically the
second time to PPPoE I was a little concerned. But it worked so from
your info I assume PlusNet (my ISP) are set up to handle this standard.

Paul's comment about not being on line at all but accessing a web server
running on the router explained a lot and made me realise that I needed
to go through the set-up again.

So, thanks a lot everyone. The NetGear is far faster than the USB modem
supplied. Not surprised they give them away. The DG834G was worth every
penny.

By the way I am sending this via Linux using Evolution (it was
installed) so the system is well and truly up and running. - No I'm not. The
'Send/Receive' button was greyed out and I couldn't find out why (seems to
be configured correctly) so I copied it so that I could send it via Outlook.
But my Internet connection from Ubuntu is working fine and I have been able
to download all the updates for my system for the first time.

One last question:
Can I copy over to Linux my Contacts and In/Sent Boxes from Outlook? And if
so, how do
I go about it?

Thanks again,

Derek Allen