[Hudlug] linux + kubuntu + yahoo

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Wed Oct 29 07:17:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 06:54 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have been trying to help a newbie, but he needs to use yahoo mail.  I don'[t
> know ubuntu at all, but I don't think that's the problem.
>
> I talked him through the normal setup of a mail client, but so far he's had no
> success.  I suspect that the problem is that his authentication settings are
> incorrect, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows what is needed.
>
> This is the result of his latest efforts:
>
>  I placed this in terminal allen at allen-laptop:~$ sudo fetchyahoo
> [sudo] password for allen:
> Sorry, try again.
> [sudo] password for allen:
> No username specified.
> Please enter your Yahoo! username: his_username(at)sbcglobal.net
> Please enter your Yahoo! password: No mailbox or mailspool specified.
> Please enter the path to and name of your mail spool or mailbox (eg
> /var/spool/mail/username):
>
> I'm going to be away for a couple of days, and wonder if anyone could help him
> while I'm away.
>
> Anne

Hi,

Well you have a number of issues to contend with here.

Yahoo has in the last few months has changed it's mail settings and
normal pulls from the classic mail system will now not work under
certain circumstances.

1. The fetchyahoo in ubuntu is an alpha where fixes for this yahoo issue
are being applied on the fly per version by the looks.

http://fetchyahoo.twizzler.org/

2. Only subscribers to the yahoo 'plus' mail servide can get pop access.

See:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-30.html

Regards

Phil