[Hudlug] transfering files to an i-pod

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jan 15 14:12:34 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

2009/1/15 michael weaver <weavermicha at googlemail.com>:
> i am having problems transfering files to an i-pod i bought in
> december.

A common problem.

> i have tried using both rhythmbox and gtkpod to transfer the
> files only i am running into difficulty.

I have used a very recent version of banshee to copy files to an ipod,
and it worked well. However the ipod I was using is an old 30G ipod
video. Apple changed the protocol with newer devices and encrypt the
data over the wire using the serial number of the device as a key.

> gtkpod seems to ask for a serial number and something about
> mounting a directory and because i am blind i don't know what
> number to choose for my i-pod nano.

It'll be the device serial number I suspect. This page may tell you
how to figure it out:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1459

Cheers,
Al.