[Hudlug] Hudds Linux user group

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 19:40:33 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 Nov 2010 17:08:54 michael weaver wrote:
> hi all!
> in regardds to your comment chris i didn't know how to do an
> accessible upgrade from one version of ubuntu to another via
> network manager.
> i am not sure if i still do because i get to a point where orca
> gets garbled but despite the garbled speech and having to force
> pcs to shutdown with the power switch after the drive has stopped
> churning around, upgrade does seem to work.
> i just have to be confident that an on-line upgrade has taken.
> i know some people i have spoken to who are blind on some of the
> linux accessibility lists do a fresh install of ubuntu when a new
> version is out.
>
> i have found that when in update-manager, if i do a check for
> upgrades with the button, maybe have typed a password or closed
> the window and had access to the screen where i enter my
> password, i can then see all the stuff that is difficult to see
> because of the sudo problem ie the settings dialogue in the
> up-date manager so then i can check what my upgrades are set to
> in that particular dialogue box.
> as long as i have entered my password to get via the sudo bug i
> can then see the bits i have problems accessing as a totally
> blind user.

Michael, obviously I have no experience of having to do things through a
screen-reader, but I'd like you to consider the fact that many of us have
found that distro upgrades can take much longer to fix than configuring a
clean install, particularly if you have config backups.  Perhaps it would be
more use to you in the long run if we had a brainstorming session one evening
just before a new Ubuntu comes out, as to how you could best tackle the
problems.

As for the subject of the thread, I also would like to see the group active
again.  I wasn't always happy about the complete lack of format of our
meetings, so I'd like to suggest that we compile a (ever-growing, hopefully)
list of topics of interest that we could discuss, help each other with issues,
etc., with a view to tackling one or maybe two subjects each evening.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group