[Infopoint] What have we discovered?

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Tue Jun 1 16:53:23 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 21:50, Paul Waring wrote:
> Jono Bacon wrote:
> > Any more thoughts?
>
> - Plenty of CDs burned in advance, with some blanks at the ready in case
> you need to make some more when you're there - we had a few people take
> a couple of CDs because there were going to give one to a friend of well
> (and the best advocacy possible is a recommendation from someone you
> already trust). I know it seems annoying when some people take CDs who
> might not be interested themselves, but you never know - they might see
> it on their desk a week later and decide to give it a whirl.

I think this is the main one. People need to go away with Linux - it
really demonstrates the free aspect of it.

> - Posters, lots and big ones (I know someone who has an A3 printer so if
> I can twist their arm I will print out a couple of posters for the next
> Manchester Infopoint if anyone wants to design some) so people know who
> you are and catch their attention.

I agree. Posters need to be striking and noticable. :)

> I would also definitely advise having at least one machine running
> Knoppix all day, that way you can immediately show it working. Perhaps
> even put it on a machine with Windows installed so people can see that
> it really can co-exist and doesn't damage their existing data.

I was thinking about this. It would be a good idea to demonstrate the
software that is on the CD. This way the visitors can see that there is
something useful to use. Keeping an OpenOffice Writer window open is
also a good idea - it seemed to garner some interest from our infopoint.

Would anyone like to volunteer to write these suggestions up? It would
be good to have them written in a PDF or something that I can put on the
site. Or, just write it in plain text and I can put it on in HTML.

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Writer / Journalist / Consultant / Developer