[Infopoint] The Open CD?

Russ avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 14 21:25:09 BST 2004

Katherine Goodwin wrote:

<SNIP stuff about giving away TheOpenCD>

> opinions?

I agree completely. I burnt a copy recently and gave it to my wife for
her to have a look at (she dual-boots Slackware & Windows 98) Her first
impression was that it looked good, and professional. The browser
interface is similar to what you get with a magazine CD, so it looks
familiar. They are careful to pick programs that look good, and are
polished, so they give a good impression. I'm very much of the opinion
that getting people using OpenOffice, the GIMP and other open-source
software on Windows is an easy first step towards Linux. After all, it's
easier to try a new office suite than a new operating system.

One idea I did have was to put TheOpenCD *and* a small bootable-CD Linux
distro on one CD. I don't know much about ISO9660, so there may be a
better way than this, but I did the following:

1. Downloaded Puppy Linux [1] and burnt it to a CD
2. Opened the OpenCD iso and burnt the files to the same CD

The end result was a CD that looked like TheOpenCD to Windows
(auto-played when inserted, etc), or booted into Puppy Linux if left in
the CD-ROM during a reboot.

The point of this is that someone can take away a CD full of useful
software for Windows, which should impress them, and make them realise
that free/open source software is frequently good quality. And, if they
want to give Linux a try, it's already there for them. Of course, Puppy
might not be the *best* Linux distro for this purpose, but it does have
the advantage of looking familiar to anyone used to Windows, since it
uses fvwm95.

Russ