[Infopoint] BBC advertising?

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Wed Jun 16 19:57:46 BST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:13:32PM +0100, david at codepoets.co.uk wrote:
> > A BBC article in any shape or form would be a major coup in my opinion.
> I think we'd have to somehow expand the infopoint project to get the bbc's
> attention... it needs a unique angle - just going to computer fairs probably
> isn't enough - some other method of reaching joe public perhaps?

Anyone got a penguin outfit? ;-)

Actually, I meant to mention this before (it has a certain amount of
relevant to the whole Infopoint thing): earlier this year I set up a
website [1] and mailing list [2] for 'Linux Day'. The intention was to
do a similar thing to the Linux Install Day in 2002, when LUGs around
the country set up their own local event to demonstrate Linux to people
(the emphasis being more on installation then). I organized the
Berkshire event, which was held in a departmental common room at the
University of Reading.

Since then, I've had various people point out that I might as well just
contribute to this Software Freedom Day [3] thingie (which sounds a bit
too FSFish to me), and Jono got the Infopoint project going.  I think
the Infopoint idea is a very good one, and solves the problem I had in
the back of my head about it being difficult to find a decent venue for
demo / showcase events.

Firstly, do you think the Linux Day idea is worth pursuing as it is? The
events in 2002 were reasonably successful, but I don't know how well
they managed to raise the profile of Linux and other free software.

Secondly, if I'm better off just putting effort into Infopoint, how
could I help? Just about the only useful thing on the Linux Day site at
the moment is the nice-looking map; perhaps we could start plotting
Infopoint locations with dates or something.

S.

[1] http://www.triv.org.uk/linuxday/