[Infopoint] BBC advertising?

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 16 22:08:01 BST 2004

Simon Heywood wrote:

>Anyone got a penguin outfit? ;-)

Hello Simon,

itiydm a bow tie and black jacket ;-)
Funny costumes are v uncomfortable, perhaps we should
stick to T-shirts ;-)

>Actually, I meant to mention this before (it has a certain amount of
>relevant to the whole Infopoint thing): earlier this year I set up a
>website [1] and mailing list [2] for 'Linux Day'.

Ah - I'm not only on that list, but also on the original LinuxDay
mailing list, which hasn't even had a spam mail for a couple of
months :-/

There are so many abandoned (but working) mailing lists out
there - it could be the basis of a poignant documentory =o/

>Since then, I've had various people point out that I might as well just
>contribute to this Software Freedom Day [3] thingie

Great idea :-)
No need to fragment the community effort, after all.

>(which sounds a bit
>too FSFish to me),

Not sure I see your point?

>and Jono got the Infopoint project going.  I think
>the Infopoint idea is a very good one, and solves the problem I had in
>the back of my head about it being difficult to find a decent venue for
>demo / showcase events.
>
>Firstly, do you think the Linux Day idea is worth pursuing as it is? The
>events in 2002 were reasonably successful, but I don't know how well
>they managed to raise the profile of Linux and other free software.

If it does get pursued, we could highlight it at the infopoints
close to the date - possibly trying to get press coverage off
the back of it. :)

 - Richard