[Infopoint] trademarks

Paul Waring paul at rixort.com
Sat Jun 19 16:33:47 BST 2004

Katherine Goodwin wrote:
> just a quick one.
> I'm busily burning cds and have knocked up a label for the opencd
> (couldn't find one already done)  I've labelled it "Open Source Software
> for Microsoft Windows" - do i need to [tm] the MS stuff ?

I don't know if you have to since I'm not a copyright/patent lawyer, but
I personally would put the (R) sign (there is a difference between (R)
and (TM) I think) on just to be on the safe side. Also, in any docs or
whatever just say "Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of
Microsoft Corporation". It's much much better to err on the side of
caution than to leave it off and potentially end up in legal hot water.

I would also possibly change the label to "Open Source Software for
users of Microsoft Windows" so it's clear that we're not capitalising on
the Windows name.

Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Paul