[Infopoint] trademarks

James Holden infopoint at jamesholden.net
Sat Jun 19 18:37:03 BST 2004

Katherine Goodwin wrote:
| Hi,
|

| just a quick one.
| I'm busily burning cds and have knocked up a label for the opencd
| (couldn't find one already done)  I've labelled it "Open Source Software
| for Microsoft Windows" - do i need to [tm] the MS stuff ?
|
| thanks
|
| Kat

TheOpenCD has an official label. If you're using Glabels (which I highly
recommend), grab the one I use from here and base your own upon it:

http://jamesholden.net/opencd_1.4.glabels

You're best advised to get hold of my roll-your-own Pressit format label
template if you're using the offset labels rather than the inline sort
(ie: layout of the labels on the A4 page).

http://jamesholden.net/pressit.template

Drop it in ~/.glabels and it'll work automagically.

I'm not too sure about the trademark attribution. As far as I
understand, Windows is a trademark (TM) and a registered name (R).
Microsoft is a registered name (R). US/UK laws may require different
things though. My suggestion is to grab a PC magazine cover CD and see
what it says on there. I don't think we could be accused of capitalising
on their 'good' name though.

As an aside, how often do you see a Microsoft FUD/TCO themed ad where it
says "Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds" at the bottom?

James

- --
James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*
Fingerprint:  32C9 A76F 3CFE A06C 1B00  5AAB 9877 4742 8358 863A
jamesholden.net ICQ: 11290827 >Buy Linux CDs from fastdiscs.com<