[Infopoint] What have we discovered?

Paul Waring paul at rixort.com
Mon May 31 21:49:25 BST 2004

Jono Bacon wrote:
> Any more thoughts?

- Plenty of CDs burned in advance, with some blanks at the ready in case
you need to make some more when you're there - we had a few people take
a couple of CDs because there were going to give one to a friend of well
(and the best advocacy possible is a recommendation from someone you
already trust). I know it seems annoying when some people take CDs who
might not be interested themselves, but you never know - they might see
it on their desk a week later and decide to give it a whirl.

- Extension sockets! We only had two plugs at our Infopoint yet we had
brought a PC and two laptops. Fortunately I'd brought a 6 way surge
protected socket so we were alright, but it's something that's easy to
forget in the rush to make CDs, create posters etc.

- Printed sheets with information about Linux - we gave out AFFS ones
that Ian had brought with him, but it's also something that even
non-technical people can pick up and look at and hopefully take a few to
give to their friends or even at work to colleagues.

- Wallets for CDs, even if they're just cheap plastic/cardboard ones,
because it makes it so much easier.

- Posters, lots and big ones (I know someone who has an A3 printer so if
I can twist their arm I will print out a couple of posters for the next
Manchester Infopoint if anyone wants to design some) so people know who
you are and catch their attention.

I would also definitely advise having at least one machine running
Knoppix all day, that way you can immediately show it working. Perhaps
even put it on a machine with Windows installed so people can see that
it really can co-exist and doesn't damage their existing data.

Food is also an excellent idea, I know John brought along refreshments
last time as well as drinks which was greatly appreciated. If one person
made a couple of batches of tea/coffee in vacuum that's also good,
although I had too much stuff in my bag last time anyway so carrying
extra stuff wasn't really an option.

Business cards are an idea that Matt mentions on his weblog. I think
these are a bit of a double-edged sword - they make us look professional
but at the same time we don't want to overdo it. Also, if you want to do
them properly they can cost quite a bit of money and it might annoy NCM
if we are seen to be giving out cards at a free table.

Paul

Paul