[Infopoint] Linux vs. FOSS

Russ Phillips avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 16 14:51:55 BST 2004

Schwuk wrote:

> same. For the Cumbria infopoints (when we finally get organised) we'd
> planned on showing cross platform FOSS running on Windows and Linux.

As someone that was planning on helping to run the Cumbria infopoints, I
agree :-) Giving people good quality FOSS that they can run on Windows
gives them an easy way to see how good FOSS is. TheOpenCD is excellent
for this, since it includes an application browser that works in a
similar way to magazine cover CD browsers. It also includes books (The
Cathedral and the Bazaar, Free as in Freedom and Open Sources) and a
trailer for RevolutionOS, so there is plenty of information for anyone
who gets interested in FOSS.

As Schwuk says, if people start using FOSS programs on Windows, then the
transition to Linux is much easier.  I really think that many people
will ignore a Linux CD (even a live CD), but they might have a look at a
CD full of programs they can put on their existing system. I'm not
suggesting that we should ignore Linux and the BSDs, just that we
shouldn't ignore Windows-based FOSS either.

Russ