[Infopoint] Linux vs. FOSS

Russ Phillips avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 17 11:55:43 BST 2004

Katherine Goodwin wrote:

> We tried that at the Birmingham Infopoint we did and the OpenCD went
> down well with some people but it was often difficult trying to figure
> out what the people would really use.  Often they just wanted to take
> away both CDs and while we're giving them away, that's just not
> feasible.  And unfortunately, the time taken to produce the CDs is the
> biggest factor with us, so even charging a small fee wouldn't really
> help that (I don't think).  However, I am planning to have a range of
> stuff on the stall next time, including Ubuntu, Knoppix and the OpenCD
> and that'll probably just make the problem worse...
>
> How have other people addressed this sort of thing?

We haven't had an infopoint yet (there is no arrangement with our local
computer fair company), so feel free to consider everything I say as the
witterings of a "wannabe" :-)

I would have thought that a small fee would help to ensure that only
people with *some* interest would take CDs. People will take anything if
it's free, but most people won't pay for something they know they won't
use, even if it's just 25p.

Russ