[Infopoint] Re: New Materials (Was: Get your fair requests in!)

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 15:13:43 GMT 2004

As I decided that as the date hadn't been confirmed, I thought I may as
well take the opportunity to prepare properly for the next fair, in
November.

One of the main things I brought away from the other infopoints I've
done is that I felt that 90% of the people we gave CDs to would put them
to one side and not look at them for quite a long time.  I had already
thought about that and so had provided small inserts to the little CD
wallets explaining about the CD.  However, I decided they probably
didn't have enough detail, so next time I shall be trying the following:
For a small donation (Cost looks like it will be <50p per CD) we'll be
giving away boxed CDs.  A colleague sells similarly boxed versions of
his Welsh Knoppix/OpenCD to bookshops in Wales for a fiver and they look
great.  While he uses good quality paper and colour and suchlike, I
don't think we need to do that, but he does send his customer away with
all the information they need to get started, with the printing on the
cover and a small insert.

We went along to the fair today and purchased some cheap cases and more
labels and CDs and I'm now putting together some new materials for
this.  I'm really pleased with the resulting DVD cases, and think that
they will draw people in (It seemed to work when Jono managed to get
some old boxed distros donated for one wolverhampton fair)

Anyway, I'm putting up the results under Materials on the wiki as I go
along, and would really appreciate some feedback.  Feel free to edit the
OOo draw files if you want to make changes, and send the results back to
me, or just use the PDF if you only want to print.

Anyway, the point of this email is to let you know about the resources
that will be up, and to ask for feedback on this idea.

thanks

Kat