[Infopoint] Re: New Materials (Was: Get your fair requests in!)

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Sun Oct 31 15:24:35 GMT 2004

Katherine Goodwin wrote:

> As I decided that as the date hadn't been confirmed, I thought I may
> as well take the opportunity to prepare properly for the next fair, in
> November.
>
> One of the main things I brought away from the other infopoints I've
> done is that I felt that 90% of the people we gave CDs to would put
> them to one side and not look at them for quite a long time.  I had
> already thought about that and so had provided small inserts to the
> little CD wallets explaining about the CD.  However, I decided they
> probably didn't have enough detail, so next time I shall be trying the
> following:
> For a small donation (Cost looks like it will be <50p per CD) we'll be
> giving away boxed CDs.  A colleague sells similarly boxed versions of
> his Welsh Knoppix/OpenCD to bookshops in Wales for a fiver and they
> look great.  While he uses good quality paper and colour and suchlike,
> I don't think we need to do that, but he does send his customer away
> with all the information they need to get started, with the printing
> on the cover and a small insert.
>
> We went along to the fair today and purchased some cheap cases and
> more labels and CDs and I'm now putting together some new materials
> for this.  I'm really pleased with the resulting DVD cases, and think
> that they will draw people in (It seemed to work when Jono managed to
> get some old boxed distros donated for one wolverhampton fair)
>
> Anyway, I'm putting up the results under Materials on the wiki as I go
> along, and would really appreciate some feedback.  Feel free to edit
> the OOo draw files if you want to make changes, and send the results
> back to me, or just use the PDF if you only want to print.
>
> Anyway, the point of this email is to let you know about the resources
> that will be up, and to ask for feedback on this idea.

Great work Kat!!

I agree that boxed CD's give people more intention to give it a shot.
Part of the challenge is raising the profile of Linux from the great
unwashed with penguin t-shirts to giving people CD's that look like they
can actually do the job. I have nothing against people with penguin
t-shirts, but I think if we can raise the professionalism of Infopoints,
it can only get more successful. :)

Good work, and I look forward to seeing how well they go down. :)

    Jono

--
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Writer / Journalist / Consultant / Developer