[Infopoint] InfoPoints at LUG Radio Live

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:43:11 BST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:59:42AM +0100, Steve Parkes wrote:

> On 27 Apr 2005, at 07:55, David Goodwin wrote:
>
> >Tony Whitmore wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>I heard Stuart mention the presence of "the InfoPoint project" at LUG
> >>Radio Live in June. What form is this going to take? Is it just going
> >>to be an InfoPoint as done by one particular region, or perhaps
> >>something organised between the various teams?
> >
> >I think Katherine and myself will be doing it, but we'd obviously
> >welcome help and input. If it follows the other ones we've done
> >before, we'll have cds, leaflets with some contact details on and a
> >couple of demo machines.
> >

> Don't you think this will be preaching to the converted (or perverted
> knowing the lugradio fans ;-) ) as the vast majority will be aware of
> free and open source software already.
>
> It might be better to attempt to get a few of the visitors interested
> in running infopoints closer to their homes rather than try to educate
> them and supply them with ubuntu cd's

Yeah, I'm with Sparkes. It seems to me that there are really only a handful of
teams that are running IPs. AFAIK we're the only ones in the south, although
Susssex LUG do do their own thing at computer fairs.

Seeing as LUG Radio first put the idea out there (although there hasn't been a
lot of follow-up this season), it would be a good opportunity to perhaps
recruit more people interested in running stands around the country.

Tony