[Infopoint] Infopoint Wiki

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 17:54:22 BST 2005

Nathan Meir wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alan Pope" <alan.pope at gmail.com>
> To: <infopoint at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:22 PM
> Subject: Re: [Infopoint] Infopoint Wiki
>
>>So fix your wiki then?
>

> I don't own the Infopoint wiki.

Doesn't really matter whether it's you or someone else - someone would
have to set the wiki to require logons or moderation, just as someone
would have to work on code to help reduce spam. In fact, writing the
code could be shared among a number of people (as is the case with the
HantsLUG wiki) whereas moderation of registrations would fall on one
person. The delay in approval of a registration could put someone off
contributing altogether. I know that I edit those wikis that require
passwords a lot less than I edit other wikis.

>>Members of the HantsLUG wiki have spent some considerable effort in
>>creating patches for the usemod wiki which has *dramatically* reduced
>>the effect of the spammers.
>

> Excellent a possible solution, unfortunatly I don't know anything about
> perl. Would it be possible to modify the Infopoint wiki with these patches?

Unlikely. Usemod is in Perl, whilst Mediawiki is in PHP AFAIK. I think
Alan's point was that it's possible to reduce spam drastically without
raising the entry level for legitimate users by changing the wiki code.

Tony