[Infopoint] Infopoint Wiki

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:16:59 BST 2005

On 15/06/05, Tony Whitmore <tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk> wrote:
> Nathan Meir wrote:
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Alan Pope" <alan.pope at gmail.com>
> > To: <infopoint at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> > Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:22 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Infopoint] Infopoint Wiki
> >
> >>So fix your wiki then?
> >

> > I don't own the Infopoint wiki.

Apologies, I thought when you said "the wiki" you meant "our LUGs wiki".

> > Excellent a possible solution, unfortunatly I don't know anything about
> > perl. Would it be possible to modify the Infopoint wiki with these patches?
>
> Unlikely. Usemod is in Perl, whilst Mediawiki is in PHP AFAIK. I think
> Alan's point was that it's possible to reduce spam drastically without
> raising the entry level for legitimate users by changing the wiki code.

Yup, on the nose.

I just did a quick google for "mediawiki" and "spam" which turned up a
cartload of hits. I'm sure (important as the Infopoint project is)
it's not the highest profile mediawiki page that suffers from spam,
and I'm equally sure not all the others resort to locking down the
wiki to becoming a members-only club.

I'll gladly assist in the R&D of such antispam measures for mediawiki,
but the implementation resides with the owner of the site.

Jo-nooooo!?

Cheers,
Al.