[Infopoint] Infopoint - lets make it happen!!

naes yllek naesyllek at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 00:16:56 GMT 2005

Hi

Apologies, for the delay in responding to original
post.

Since the launch of InfoPoint & as part of our
advocacy adventure, Hull LUG have been faithfully
attending our local computer fair with three of us
(TJ, Nathan & myself) in regular attandence. Initial
interest was positive, on one night we couldn't keep
up with demand and was burning CD's on the spot.

Despite our efforts, and the jaw aching talking for
England on the subject of Linux & Open Source, we have
hardly seen any new members attend our meets. The
novelty of our attendance at such fairs and the
handing out of free CD's appears to have waned to that
more akin with a circus ie "look the geek freaks in
the corner". There's also the question of is Joe
Public ready to use Linux? and, the no doubt
controversial question, is the Linux desktop really
ready for Joe Public? The other aspect is about
people's attitude towards change.

We've been considering other ways on addressing these.
Myslef and another LUG member (Daisy), last year
approached our local BBC, who have a high-tech open
centre, about the possibility of undertaking an
InfoPoint and workshops. Despite having a few contacts
within the Beeb, and a meeting with a Senior Broadcast
Journalist, nothing came of the proposal. This was due
to 3 main reasons;

1) The legal issues concerned with the possibilities
of product endoresment and advertising, also public
liability insurance.

2) Even though we was going to use none invasive live
CD's, we was unable to use their equipment as it is on
lease from the local college, who considered by
running the CD we would be violating their system.

3) We could use our own equipment, on the proviso each
device had a recent PET test and that one person would
be held accountable, hence the public liability.

Unfortunately, as with most LUGs we don't have the
funds for this, so armed with my letter from the BBC
expressing their interest, I touted HP at the Linux
Expo event last year to consider loaning us some
equipment. This turned out to be a damp squid, as
despite the person concerned expressing their apparent
keenness to help, never replied to my email or
telephone calls regarding the proposal.

In order to spread the Open Source word, for some
months now I've been actively placing up posters and
leaving free CDs (mostly Ubuntu) in various public
venues such as libraries, community centres, schools,
college's and local university etc...

Another avenue has been undertaking a seminar, which
Jono has kindly agreed to participate in ;)
So far I've had to cancel the original proposed date,
due to the holiday season (btw Jono, any room for me
in your suitcase when you jet off to LA next year?).

Again, as with most things in this life, what has been
hindering us BIG time is securing funding (yet again
more false promises!). I've had a number of meetings
regarding the seminar with various organisations which
initially generate a positive response.

On reflection, and I speak for myself here, all of my
time, effort & money (at least what I can afford being
on a JSA budget), have not shown any fruition. Short
of someone giving our LUG a wad of cash there's
nothing else more we can do to progress our adventure.
So if anyone has any ideas, suggestions please let me
know because my head can't take any more beating from
the wall.

Sean