[Infopoint] Infopoint - lets make it happen!!

Iain Roberts iain at cairnlin.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 12:07:11 GMT 2005

Hi Sean,

I feel your pain :-)

It's tricky as hell to figure out how to spend your time/money most
effectively, especially when you haven't got too much of either.

Remember that most people want stuff that works and don't want to go
along to meetings talking about the stuff that works.  After all, most
people use Windows but I don't see huge crowds gathering for their local
WUG meeting.

Sounds like you've put in a lot of work and come up with some creative
ideas.  I can't believe that college complains about running a live CD -
crazy stuff!

A couple of thoughts :

There are a lot of open source companies around.  Most do not have
stacks of cash, but are generally happy to help.  I've got one (based in
Manchester) and a know a few others over in Sheffield.  South Yorkshire
has a lot of FLOSS stuff going on; don't know about Humberside though.
If it would be useful to have something coming from either a company or
an official public sector body, it can quite probably be arranged.

One approach that I haven't tried, but I always thought would be
interesting, would be to talk to schools and colleges about the legal
issues of large numbers of their students running pirated copies of
Microsoft Office.  Suggest that, as good citizens generally opposed to
stealing, it might be an idea to at least make students aware of the
issue and provide them with an alternative (OpenOffice.org v2) which you
would be happy to provide.  Since OOo is highly compatable with MS
Office (and as near 100% as makes no difference for essays, reports and
the like) students then have the choice of using a legal product.

Maybe a link-up with Schoolforge?

Cheers,

Iain Roberts

--