[Infopoint] Bracknell BCF event etc

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Nov 28 06:34:30 GMT 2005

Tony Whitmore wrote:
>  alan c wrote:
> > Tony Whitmore wrote:
> >> Yes, basically with Kat co-ordinating the northern fairs, Jono
> >> had asked me to consider taking over the co-ordination of the
> >> BCF/southern fairs.
> > please consider me as your volunteer around Bracknell?
>
>  If you're looking at running as a regular event, I'd suggest setting
>  up a "team" page on the wiki, like the Hants Team, Hull Team etc.
>  Perhaps the Berks Team? ;)

Yes nice idea. I suppose that wounld make me a Berk? :-)
I will continue to investigate driving the wiki, in preparation

[...]
 >>to whatever
> > non profit ruels they see fit. For example brief initail discussion
> > suggested (their suggestion) that 1 pound per cd was an easy round
> > figure. But I recognised that this would be much more than cost of
> > materials.
>
>  Well, that depends on the CDs that you distribute. Our CDs[1] cost
>  just under £1 to produce to that condition.

I have not costed it in any detail.

[...]
>  There was a need
> > for them to discuss at their higher level, I thingk about th e'non
> > profit' criteria, as you imply in your comment.
>
>  Yes, and it's this sort of discussion that could be difficult.
>  Joyfully saying that you would pay a table fee could have a knock-on
>  affect on other people running InfoPoints, if they decide that this
>  should be the case for other people using their services.

I hope not, I will be discrete though. I happen to live almost within
yards of th evenue so many of the normal costs of travel will not apply
to my own case. I am hoping that the Infopoint presence will be seen as
an aset to the Fair, and willbecome welcomed, any way that is an aim I
have.

>  There are a
>  lot of regulars at computer fairs and they won't all take away a CD
>  everytime they visit.

How many CDs and of what, do you expect to move at a busy event?

>  With a table fee of £35 there will be a pressure to sell more CDs,
>  something that is really against the InfoPoint philosophy. It's not
>  about shifting CDs, but about spending time chatting with people and
>  demonstrating Linux.

Yes, in fact the CD price may be a distraction, giving/seling CDs it is
not my real aim.

> > I am confident it can go ahead, at no charge, as a minimum, with
> > finer details to be yet sorted.
>
>  Well, perhaps if you can sort the details out you could become the
>  contact to book fairs through BCF? I have enough on my plate as it
>  is, so if you're able to do it then please feel free.

OK in principle certainly, I will be glad to. Need plenty of advice/help
etc though......
It would be worth seeing how things settle down in bracknell of course.
I am hoping to be able to meet an organiser or two at the event/s,
although the office (phone) location is west yorkshire.

> > Tony, may I suggest that I contnue to get the booking established
> > asap now on this basis, and then (hopefully in a few days time,
> > when they have something in place) you maybe pick up the contact
> > as the area coordinator or whatever, with me going ahead in
> > bracknell at least fro this event?
>
>  Sure. The main reason I've not made any progress (apart from the
>  obvious time factors) is that I've not been able to get the details
>  of Jono's contact at BCF yet. Your breaking the ice might have helped
>  move things on though.
>
> > The BCF will already be tihknking about it from today onwards, an
> > dhopefully twill remain flexible. Did I mention they aparently were
> > aware of someones fair (not theirs) in sussex with a LUG there? I
> > would hope to avoid complications just right now.
>
>  Well, technically one fair we did with Jerry Pugh was in Sussex, but
>  I suspec that they mean that Sussex LUG have tables at BCF fairs,
>  though not through the InfoPoint project. They appear to do the
>  Crawley and Worthing fairs[2] via BCF. They pay for their table and
>  are entitled to do what they want with their stands. There is a
>  potential for this to awkward if you were to try and organise
>  InfoPoints at these fairs as you would obviously be covering much the
>  same ground. I did e-mail them prior to us starting our InfoPoints in
>  Hampshire and they seemed very helpful though.

Thanks, useful information

--
alan c