[Infopoint] Bracknell BCF event etc

Rob Smith rob at rob-smith.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 12:50:24 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 06:32 +0000, alan c wrote:
[snip]
> > > non profit ruels they see fit. For example brief initail
discussion
> > > suggested (their suggestion) that 1 pound per cd was an easy round
> > > figure. But I recognised that this would be much more than cost of
> > > materials.
> >
> >  Well, that depends on the CDs that you distribute. Our CDs[1] cost
> >  just under £1 to produce to that condition.
>
> I have not costed it in any detail.
[snip]

> >  There are a
> >  lot of regulars at computer fairs and they won't all take away a CD
> >  everytime they visit.
>
> How many CDs and of what, do you expect to move at a busy event?
>
> >  With a table fee of £35 there will be a pressure to sell more CDs,
> >  something that is really against the InfoPoint philosophy. It's not
> >  about shifting CDs, but about spending time chatting with people
and
> >  demonstrating Linux.
>
> Yes, in fact the CD price may be a distraction, giving/seling CDs it
is
> not my real aim.

[snip]
> OK in principle certainly, I will be glad to. Need plenty of
advice/help
> etc though......
> It would be worth seeing how things settle down in bracknell of
course.
> I am hoping to be able to meet an organiser or two at the event/s,
> although the office (phone) location is west yorkshire.

It seems to me that the best thing you could do is to attend a Hants run
InfoPoint to see how an experienced team run them, rather than rushing a
poorly planned InfoPoint.  As Tony has said many times, there was an
awful lot of planning done prior to the first Hants InfoPoint.  It would
be a shame to see your obviously eager efforts cause long term problems
for other InfoPoints by setting the wrong expectations with the BCF.

Rob