[Infopoint] Bracknell BCF event etc

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Nov 28 18:28:27 GMT 2005

Rob Smith wrote:
[...]
>  [snip]
> > OK in principle certainly, I will be glad to. Need plenty of
>  advice/help
> > etc though...... It would be worth seeing how things settle down in
> > bracknell of
>  course.
> > I am hoping to be able to meet an organiser or two at the event/s,
> > although the office (phone) location is west yorkshire.
>
>  It seems to me that the best thing you could do is to attend a Hants
>  run InfoPoint to see how an experienced team run them, rather than
>  rushing a poorly planned InfoPoint. As Tony has said many times,
>  there was an awful lot of planning done prior to the first Hants
>  InfoPoint. It would be a shame to see your obviously eager efforts
>  cause long term problems for other InfoPoints by setting the wrong
>  expectations with the BCF.
>

>  Rob

Thanks for the comment and concern Rob, but life is too short I am sorry
to say. It is also a long trek to your events, and the time is not
available. I am sure that if others could negotiate differently with BCF
soon, then I will be delighted please let me know?

BCF know I am new to it, and they are sensible experienced people. I
trust that Infopoints will be a benefit to the Fair. They will have some
interest in it being as sucessful as possible.

Please note that BCF are already aware of the sussex event/s from what
has been said here (and in passing by them) I think I am correct in
thinking that at least some of those events are paid for, not free?

If BCF are being flexible with me ( I do not yet know how flexible of
course, still negotiating) then it would seem that it is *I* who am
possibly likely to suffer from the apparent precedent of a non-free
display, not the other way round! So far it is going ok and I am getting
understanding noises from BCF. I keep my open source fingers crossed.

When I started with suse a year + ago I would have given a lot for
*anything* locally.
If anyone at your end is available between now and the 11th to help
directly, and/or is available to also attend, that would be great, (?)

Some areas of my past lives sort of cover some of this sort of thing.  :-)

As an aside -
I am delighted to say that one local college student has today joined my
recently setup micro-local contact group in bracknell (bracklux on
yahoogroups.co.uk) and seems to be unaware of both nearby LUGs and a
useful usenet group too. A small advert card in the college hall two
months ago has taken a while to bring fruit. Had I waited, then the ad
would not have been there, nor the group, and a total newbie would be
struggling in deep water already. Like me he would have finally found
things out, but now he has choices to ask, with local encouragement.

Sometimes I think I  just have to go for it.
hth
--
alan cocks