[Infopoint] Bracknell BCF event etc

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Nov 28 22:59:49 GMT 2005

Tony Whitmore wrote:
>  alan c wrote:

>  You'll probably find it's Jerry Pugh as he is their representative at
>  fairs in the south.

Useful thanks

> >> It seems to me that the best thing you could do is to attend a
> >> Hants run InfoPoint to see how an experienced team run them,
> >> rather than rushing a poorly planned InfoPoint. As Tony has said
> >> many times, there was an awful lot of planning done prior to the
> >> first Hants InfoPoint. It would be a shame to see your obviously
> >> eager efforts cause long term problems for other InfoPoints by
> >> setting the wrong expectations with the BCF.
>  I think this is a really good suggestion from Rob. I'm not saying
>  that we're the be-all-and-end-all of InfoPoints in the South, but
>  we've been doing them for a year and have learnt an awful lot in that
>  time.

It would be useful to list the points you know you have gained from
experience - is this possible now?

>  It's a shame alan says he can't make it.

Yes sorry I can't.  I have seen three previous Fairs pass by mostly when
I was doing something like leave the country for a month etc, the inlaws
have not been well, and a family member is going to give birth soon. I
also have other commitments, although I have significantly reduced one
at least to make time for linux.

And the few weeks before Xmas should be one of the most busy at the
Computer Fair. I would have been delighted if the negotiations were
already in place etc, I would be riding with them. Perhaps I can visit
later, and take on board experience which cannot be passed via this
group etc.

I do not have any doubt that you have things going well. I came to a LUG
meeting, it was very well organised.

> > Please note that BCF are already aware of the sussex event/s from
> > what has been said here (and in passing by them) I think I am
> > correct in thinking that at least some of those events are paid
> > for, not free?
>
>  Yes, I said this in my mail of 21:32 yesterday evening. AFAIK all
>  Sussex LUG's stalls are paid for and not part of the InfoPoint
>  project. This is why I suggested there is the potential for some
>  discomfort between InfoPoints in Sussex and Sussex LUG's stands.
>
> > If BCF are being flexible with me ( I do not yet know how flexible
> > of course, still negotiating) then it would seem that it is *I* who
> > am possibly likely to suffer from the apparent precedent of a
> > non-free display, not the other way round!
>
>  I didn't really mean that your negotiations would be affected by the
>  Sussex stands, more that other InfoPoints at BCF events would be
>  affected by your negotiations.

I appreciate that, and so far, I have received sympathetic reactions at BCF.

However, unless the *details* of the final outcome from Jono's  earlier
negotiations are available to me, all I can say to BCF is - what I have
said to them to date - that there 'has been an agreement in the past'.
Which *is* a bit weak as a negotiating stance, isn't it?

As it is, this is somewhat breaking new ground, not totally new, but in
some ways it is. As we know there are blurred edges about charging,
mostly around the clarity of concept of [Infopoint vs a LUG], in
combinations with recent [paid and unpaid] events.

And the more organised one becomes,  the more likely it is that  I will
be mistakenly seen as an organisation worthy of paying the way, and
hard-headed traders will resent a freebie, as they might see it, being
subsidised by them.

>  I'm sure Jono was clear about the aims
>  and objectives of the InfoPoint project in his initial negotations
>  and was able to secure the free tables deal.

Yes I believe you but - What Is the 'deal' *specifically*?

>  Whilst there's no reason
>  that you shouldn't be as clear,

I am clear if you are.
But,  why would I expect someone to give me a handout of (35 pounds) on
the strength of someone I know who said someone else said they had
agreed at some previous time. Surely the point is made?

>  it's always possible.
not with me, but I lack *evidence* that is not heresay.

>  I'm sure you'll
>  proceed with care though.

Sure will, and I have. If more details of the previous agreement
surfaces please do not heasitate to let me know?

In addition it would be quite useful to also then know which if any BCF
events invoked it.

> > As an aside - I am delighted to say that one local college student
> > has today joined my recently setup micro-local contact group in
> > bracknell (bracklux on yahoogroups.co.uk) and seems to be unaware
> > of both nearby LUGs and a useful usenet group too. A small advert
> > card in the college hall two months ago has taken a while to bring
> > fruit. Had I waited, then the ad would not have been there, nor the
> > group, and a total newbie would be struggling in deep water
> > already. Like me he would have finally found things out, but now he
> > has choices to ask, with local encouragement.
>
>  There's no saying that an advert for SVLUG

(SCLUG, I must say I would prefer SVLUG though :-)  )

>  or HantsLUG wouldn't have
>  brought the same result.

In this case the newbie posted it was specifically the (single) card I
asked to be put up.
Is that what you mean?

The difference is that he will for a short period be dealing with a
small local group, before feeling the sometimes cool breeze of people
who take a county wide LUG for granted, and Linux too.

I found some of my initial contact with LUGs rather uncomfortable. And
as you have seen by now, I need not be slow at coming forward. I should
say that Hants LUG is very organised, active and very friendly! It is
just a long drive away :-(

>  Supporting SVLUG with promotion might help
>  it grow - you've already said that's it's differently active. If I'm
>  right in thinking that micro-lug is essentially just a yahoo group,

It is, quite intentionally. Such a group is very much a familiar
environment to existing 'doze users. Newbies will usually be clinging to
windoze for quite a while, and initial forays for information and
comfort will be coming from a windoze environment.

I still bear the bruises of starting linux, even though it was an
experience with many intensely joyful moments.

I believe that many linux users soon loose newbie memories - of the
totally lost feeling when things do not work and they have done
everything they know and the rtfm too, and still do not really know what
question to ask in a group.

Holding someones hand in a local pub could be one way. Visiting a user
down the road locally for a coffee is another, just talking. These
things are done in Hants LUG I know, and on the list, but it is a trek,
and very intermittent.

Windows novices have it very easy including questions answered from a
neighbor three doors away.

I am not sure the Infopoint list is the best place to debate the need
for micro-local groups. :-(

However, I have no intention of competing with LUGS, or starting one,
but I do expect to help with the nursery green shoots and encourage and
*feed into* the LUGs.

>  I'm not sure what support it can give that a county-wide LUG can't.

I would like to discuss that in much greater depth because I think it is
crucial to what is now about to happen to linux, but this is surely not
the best forum?

>  The thing that sometimes puts people off LUGs is the amount of
>  traffic, and even this varies from LUG to LUG.

yes I am sure it is one thing

Best regards
alan c