[Infopoint] Infopoint - lets make it happen!!

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 21:49:59 BST 2005

Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Right, as many of you know, the Infopoint project has been rather
> inactive for quite some time. This has been partially down to the lack
> of volunteers and partially down to the lack of time from the people
> who do volunteer.

Indeed. We've been running InfoPoints regularly throughout this year,
and I know Kat and David have, but AFAICT that's all in 2005.

> I have been thinking about this today, and had a quick discussion with
> Tony and I have a bit of an action plan. I am utterly, insanely
> convinced that we just need to give the Infopoint community some
> momentum and then it can get on its feet like any other project. This
> will need to regular posters and interested parties to collaborate
> together a lot at first, and then it should run smoothly.
>
> So, what is the plan. Here are my thoughts:
>
>  - First, lets change the focus of the project slightly. We are rather
> to restricted to computer fairs. People may want to run Infopoints at
> sci-fi shows, shopping malls, universities and other places.

I agree. We've never felt restricted to computer fairs - our first
InfoPoint was at a reconditioned computer sale organised by a local
homelessness charity. Computer fairs are a great place to meet people
who like playing with computers, but you run the risk of seeing the same
crowd of regulars each time.

The computer fairs at which we have run InfoPoints have been relatively
small and quiet. This really suits InfoPoints - you have time to talk to
people in a low-pressure environment. We have had people playing with
our demo machines for over an hour, chatting about Linux and the
different issues around it. We've had couples who are building their own
computer and thought they might try Linux but hadn't been able to get
any CDs. We've also had plenty of kids playing with webcams and Mr
Potato Head - including some who take away a Knoppix CD just so they can
play their favourite new games. :)

But my experience of busy computer fairs is that there is less physical
room and the environment that is less condusive to this. Other venues -
libraries, community centres, universities and so on are possibly more
suitable, in a way, and represent potential new Linux users and some
very diverse audiences.

>  - Next, lets de-centralise the idea that we make contacts with
> computer fair organisers and dish out Infopoint dates. This is a bit
> too disorganised and is too centralised for the occassion when someone
> gets a dog and does less Infopoint stuff. :P

That's it, blame Banger. :D Actually it's just logic. Systems with a
single point of failure are bad systems. So when Jono got busy with
other activities (and a proper job ;) ) things slowed. However, it's not
the only reason - a lot of the early InfoPoint teams had stopped running
stands by then.

It makes sense to introduce some redundancy and distributed
responsbililty. But there's a fine balance between involving other
people, keeping momentum in the project, keeping the fair organisers
onside, ensuring that no-one can hi-jack the name "InfoPoint" and
ensuring that InfoPoints aspire to their goals. Computer fair (and other
event) organisers need to be sure that they're dealing with someone who
is responsible and represents the InfoPoint project.

> Lets allow anyone to run
> an Infopoint, and although encourage people who simply work to make
> contacts with organisations to allow Infopoints to happen. So, as an
> example, Kat's contribution may be to just manage BCF dates, whereas
> Tony may do the actual Infopoint at the shows. This way anyone can
> contribute.

We certainly need to play to people's strengths and use their free time
in the way that suits them.

One of the reasons that our InfoPoints have been successful is that lots
of members of the LUG have helped out. We've had a core group of 4 or 5
who have manned the stand, and another 3 or 4 who have attended a
handful of them. But the rest of the LUG have chipped in to help out in
other ways:
* One member's company paid for a LUG banner (for use at our meetings
and InfoPoints).
* Another member got a friend who works at a printers to produce the
lettering for our "Linux InfoPoint" stands. (The stands themselves cost
about £10 each to make and used my dodgy DIY skills.)
* Another member designed the leaflets we give out on the stands.
* Another member printed the leaflets on coloured paper.
* Another member donated the A4 poster holders for the table and some
table coverings.
* Another member donated a small hub for use on the stand. (We set up
webcams via Gnome-meeting.)
* Another member co-ordinates our LUG merchandise and makes sure we have
mugs, mousemats and other eye-catching things to make the stand look nice.
* We had about half a dozen members at a LUG meeting making up CD cases
with inlays for the stand.

My point in all of the above is that although there are 4 or 5 people
manning the stand, there are at least 20 people who have contributed to
their running.

You don't _need_ all these people, but it makes life much easier (and
the stand essentially more maintanable in the long run) if you have a
group of people in support. As a project we need to provide this support
for those who want to run InfoPoints but don't have people around them
who are willing to help out.

>  - We need to really, really, super importantly push resources on the
> website for helping people run Infopoints. We need resources for how
> to make contacts, printable posters, press release information and
> more.

The support we provide should take the form not only of advice and
guidance via the mailing list, but prepared media, electronic or
physical. There's "only" time and cost stopping the project from making
up CDs and leaflets for other people.

There some formatting changes that I'd make to our HantsLUG leaflets
(and can do so) but I'll see if I can produce a generic "use anywhere"
leaflet(s) that might help new InfoPoints. I'm quite happy to work at
putting together a "pack" of resources that new InfoPoints could use to
get up and running.

There are also a great number of practical tips that we've picked up
running stands (how not to scare people off!) that are available through
our wiki but could be munged into some semi-formal advice.

> We also need to provide a solid list of events that people are
> doing.

I've moved the Reports page into the Previous InfoPoints page as they
duplicated content and set up a redirect from the former. All our
InfoPoints are on the page, although there are some missing that were
run by other teams.

> I think the best way forward is to get the site up and running and
> revamped first.

I've had a blitz on the wiki this evening, tidying up content, making it
more relevant, removing some of the first-person text and reformatting
some messy pages.

Please take some time to poke around the site, correct any errors and
omissions and most importantly add content that you think is relevant.

http://infopoint.jonobacon.org/index.php/Main_Page

> Lets also make contacts with the computer fairs to
> ensure the bridges are still there to book free tables. Tony is
> interested in BCF and I think Kat is interested in other fairs.

Yes, I've updated the Venue Status page [1] with the fairs that BCF now
seem to be running and have alphabetised it. They are only running one
fair in Hampshire (and TBH one fair a month is enough for our team as it
stands) but I'd be happy to co-ordinate bookings for any other fairs
that BCF do. The proviso is that we're able to rekindle the original
deal and successfully renegotiate free or low price tables. Using Jono's
original contact for BCF seems like the best way to do this.

We also need people to be on the look out for smaller regional fair
organisers who we could approach. However, they're only really worth
approacing if there's a team ready to run a stand at that event.

> With a site that is attractive and with some good instructions of how
> to get involved, we should then attract new members. I will make a
> strong effort to attract people to the project. I will write some
> articles for O'Reilly, do some talks and push it at OpenAdvantage.

I think it does need some wider pushing. It will help raise the profile
of the project and provide some nice links to show prospective fair /
event organisers to convince them to give us tables. :) We should
perhaps be thinking about tables in .Org villages at Expos and actually
giving a pimping talk at LRL2006.

To the best of my recollection, InfoPoints weren't plugged outside of
LUG Radio season 1 and a few UK LUGs. It's not entirely surprising that
a lot of LUGs haven't heard of them. We also need to get the attention
of people from outside UK LUGs, (not specifically internationally
although that will follow from articles on O'Reilly ;) ). Perhaps
business would provide CDs for free in exchange for having their logo on
the disc? I know OpenAdvantage did version of the OpenCD and Mandrake
Move in this way. We won't know until they find out about InfoPoints,
but we have to ensure that when they do, we then maintain and cultivate
those contacts.

> Thoughts?

The InfoPoint project is a worthy activity. It might not be the most
glamourous of passtimes and I suspect this is where it has faltered. I
know when I wake up early on a Sunday morning for an InfoPoint, my heart
isn't exactly full of joy. But I'm usually feeling fairly happy
afterwards, having talked to some people about Linux. We have a fairly
relaxing day, we usually have few snacks and sometimes a beer.

If we have decent chats with half a dozen people during a fair then I
feel generally happy. Very often we have some genuinely keen people who
have heard of Linux but have never had the chance to see it in action.
We've had people actually come along to LUG meetings (and more than
once!) as a result of meeting us at an InfoPoint. (OK, LUG recruitment
isn't the primary aim but it's a nice fringe benefit.)

I'd really like to see InfoPoints kick off and become useful, flexible
advocacy tools. It would be great to have half a dozen teams regularly
running InfoPoints around the UK and actively encouraging others to do
the same. What we need are people with time and energy. Even a little
bit from everyone subscribed to this list would help no end.

Tony

[1] http://infopoint.jonobacon.org/index.php/Venue_Status