[Infopoint] Infopoint - lets make it happen!!

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 19:45:38 BST 2005

Hi,

> Indeed. We've been running InfoPoints regularly throughout this year,
> and I know Kat and David have, but AFAICT that's all in 2005.

Yes, Kat and I have, but getting around to doing one seems to get harder
as time goes on. We had thought of going to e.g. Walsall Library on
Software Freedom day, but didn't get around to it for one reason or
another. (Lug/infopoint apathy)

>> - First, lets change the focus of the project slightly. We are rather
>>to restricted to computer fairs. People may want to run Infopoints at
>>sci-fi shows, shopping malls, universities and other places.

Universities would be a good place - spread it amongst the young and
impressionable :)

Perhaps something as simple as leaving a table full of Breezy CDs would
suffice in a CompSci department with stickers on the back for the local
LUG(s). Targeting other departments/areas would be far harder - people
tend to veer away from anyone looking like they're trying to get
someone's attention at a stall/stand?

> I agree. We've never felt restricted to computer fairs - our first
> InfoPoint was at a reconditioned computer sale organised by a local
> homelessness charity. Computer fairs are a great place to meet people
> who like playing with computers, but you run the risk of seeing the same
> crowd of regulars each time.

We definately do when we have done the Wolverhampton computer fair(s). I
think this is one reason why we've not done another lately as we're
trying to find a better venue, but we've not found it yet.

> But my experience of busy computer fairs is that there is less physical
> room and the environment that is less condusive to this. Other venues -
> libraries, community centres, universities and so on are possibly more
> suitable, in a way, and represent potential new Linux users and some
> very diverse audiences.

Yes; I recall someone posting on either SBLug or WolvesLUG about a stand
in a local library.

The problem infopoints face is that the vast majority of people don't
understand what an operating system is - they believe all PCs run
Windows - and don't understand there are alternatives.

> My point in all of the above is that although there are 4 or 5 people
> manning the stand, there are at least 20 people who have contributed to
> their running.

The Infopoints Katherine and I have done recently have normally had us,
and occassionally one or two other for a portion of the day. I'm not
sure if it's sustainable in this form, as spending an entire day at a
computer fair is quite tiring (and I doubt I'm the best ambassador for
the 'cause' with my great personality etc.

> The support we provide should take the form not only of advice and
> guidance via the mailing list, but prepared media, electronic or
> physical. There's "only" time and cost stopping the project from making
> up CDs and leaflets for other people.

Ubuntu CDs are free :)

See also http://infopoint.codepoets.co.uk

> Please take some time to poke around the site, correct any errors and
> omissions and most importantly add content that you think is relevant.
>
> http://infopoint.jonobacon.org/index.php/Main_Page

I would, but that dodgy server isn't working at the moment. I'm willing
to provide the hosting for it if necessary.

>>Lets also make contacts with the computer fairs to
>>ensure the bridges are still there to book free tables. Tony is
>>interested in BCF and I think Kat is interested in other fairs.

Yes, we are. But, we're drifting back to talking to the semi converted.
I'm wondering if it's worth us turning up in the middle of
Walsall/Wolverhampton/Birmingham on a Saturday like those dodgy men who
sell radio controlled cars etc. I guess we'd need a banner like :

'Secure your computer from viruses, ad-ware, spy-ware for FREE. Please
help yourself to a CD'

> I think it does need some wider pushing. It will help raise the profile
> of the project and provide some nice links to show prospective fair /
> event organisers to convince them to give us tables. :) We should
> perhaps be thinking about tables in .Org villages at Expos and actually
> giving a pimping talk at LRL2006.

Indeed. The trouble is at a Linux expo you're talking to the converted;
and there was very little interest in it at LRL.

> The InfoPoint project is a worthy activity. It might not be the most
> glamourous of passtimes and I suspect this is where it has faltered. I
> know when I wake up early on a Sunday morning for an InfoPoint, my heart
> isn't exactly full of joy. But I'm usually feeling fairly happy
> afterwards, having talked to some people about Linux. We have a fairly
> relaxing day, we usually have few snacks and sometimes a beer.

Likewise!

> We've had people actually come along to LUG meetings (and more than
> once!) as a result of meeting us at an InfoPoint. (OK, LUG recruitment
> isn't the primary aim but it's a nice fringe benefit.)

I'm not sure if we (Wolves LUG) have; even though we deliberately hand
them a small flier with details of the local LUGS on it. Is this because
the average non-technical person doesn't understand what a mailing list
is? Would they prefer a web based forum? Is it possible to have a web
based forum front end to a mailing list?

> I'd really like to see InfoPoints kick off and become useful, flexible
> advocacy tools. It would be great to have half a dozen teams regularly
> running InfoPoints around the UK and actively encouraging others to do
> the same. What we need are people with time and energy. Even a little
> bit from everyone subscribed to this list would help no end.

Are there many people subscribed?

Apologies for taking so long to reply....

David.

--
David Goodwin

[ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]