[Infopoint] InfoPoint Stuff

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Apr 27 21:36:57 BST 2008

Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long term members may remember the Infopoint stands we used to run at
> computer fairs. We ran them for about a year, the last one in December
> 2005. Since then I've not had any time to put into the project and,
> despite my best intentions, still don't have.
>
> I am therefore wondering if any HantsLUG members would like to try and
> re-invigorate the scheme? If so, I have some CDs, signs, vertical stands
> etc. which we used and which you'd be welcome to use. (Alternatively,
> other InfoPoint groups would be welcome to use these resources, please
> let me know.)
>
> If no-one is interested at this time, I suggest we formally fold the
> HantsLUG InfoPoint scheme, return the float to the LUG and I will
> dispose of the signs, CDs etc.
>
> Please express any interest by the next LUG meeting, (Saturday 10th
> May.) If you're not familiar with the scheme you can find out more at
> http://infopointproject.org
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

I run monthly Infopoint displays at the bracknell computer fairs, and,
I was most grateful for your help and comments initially Tony.
Thank you again. That was probably 2 years ago or more.

If anyone is willing and able to re start the Hants activity, I would
certainly encourage them. It is apparent to me in recent months that
there is a good movement in public awareness and also motivation,
towards a 'choice', non windows that is.

There is a revolution going on just now I think, and if you can hold
regular displays you will soon become a defacto newbie advice centre.
It is not like a lug though. It is a lot of raw newbie stuff, and
often almost desperation to escape windows.

I have my own display kit,  but it would be sensible to consider
continuing use of any that Tony has, other things being equal.

If anyone is minded to continue in Hants I would be very happy to
offer useful comments and may be some  occasional support
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391