[IOML] [Fwd: Raising Linux awareness]

Dylan Smith dyls at dylansmith.co.im
Wed Jul 30 00:20:00 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Chris Bryden wrote:

> One of the things that puts people off too, IMHO, is the evangelical
> anti-MS line taken by many OSS folks.

I agree. Religion never helps anyone anywhere, it's just a big turnoff.
And, as you say, most OSS is platform agnostic.

> Change on the desktop is a bit more of a thorny issue due to the resistance
> to change of non-technical staff - often to be found desperately clinging

Resistance to change is always a very big issue. But it can be overcome if
it's done right - and of course, that's the hard bit :-) Being primarily
the author of bespoke software (such as the United States postal service's
counter system) I know *all* about resistance to change <g>. Beleive it or
not, we had to make that system look purely like a cash register or the
union would have insisted that all the counter staff be reclassed as
"computer operators" and paid a great deal more...

> I'm up for that, been moving house, and now perilously close to the
> Woodbourne if anyone fancies it. Haven't tried yet, but with a bit of
> effort could probably get a signal up there.

Don't talk to me about moving house!

> Only things I play with any regularity are Quazatron on the Speccy and
> ELITE on the Amiga

Ah. Another Elite fan :-)

I'm not quite in the state for hosting a LAN party yet, I've now got
carpets, the phone gets switched on on Friday, but I lack things like
doors and an operable kitchen (pizza needs to be heated somehow). But it
won't be long and I do have a ridiculous number of RJ-45 jacks around the
house (I went for the flood wiring option, and have 26 jacks...OK, perhaps
I am a geek after all).

Best of all, the Bay at Port Erin is within staggering distance and they
have fabulous Bushy's beer.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man      | Code fast, crash young and
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net         | leave a beautiful core.