[IOML] Life in the Isle of Man LUG?

Daniel Ankers dan at weirdo.org.uk
Wed Jan 28 07:53:21 GMT 2004

I've switched back to *mumbles the name of an OS* to feed a new found
addiction to Medal of Honor.  I'll switch back to a proper OS soon though.

I did try putting GoboLinux on this box to have a play - it looks kind of
different, changing the traditional Unix directory names for something kind
of logical, but MS have innovated a new way for their OSen to not play nice
with anything else so I managed to hose my Win2k install AND couldn't get to
Linux either.  For attempt #2 I'll use a completely separate hard drive, I
think.

My MoH adddiction, combined with sharing my ADSL with housemates who use
bandwidth-intensive programs, led to me fiddling with Linux traffic shaping.
I tried the cbqinit script, which simply didn't work, and then tried
manually setting up HBQ and SFQ, which still needs some fine tuning but
overall works pretty well.

I also got my first bit of coding committed to a major OSS project!  (I'm
dead proud of this.)  Anyone who uses a DMX 6Fire soundcard should notice
the change
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/alsa/alsa-tools/envy24control/)

I tried OpenBSD on my home webserver for a while, but couldn't really get my
head round it, so I switched back to Debian.  The security updates on Debian
apply a bit quicker ("apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" sure as hell beats
"cvsup && make world" on a slow machine) and I know how to admin it!

Meeting again for beer sometime in the near future really does sound like a
good plan!

Dan