[Klug-general] Slow FTP in SuSE9.0

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Fri Dec 3 16:17:14 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 15:46 +0000, Kevin Groves wrote:
> Further investigation has revealed that there are reports of slow FTP connections with machines using the onboard Broadcom network adaptor. Possibly related the ACPI but I'm digging deeper. Might try another NIC. The other machines are using onboard eepro100. Looking back to the connections *between*  the machines I got a 9mb/s transfer which actually *is* slow too! I should be getting 150+ which I have had in the past even on a busy network.
>
> mmmmm. Not happy with this machine but will keep looking. PITA
>
> Kev,

Daft question but... have you checked the stats and port config on the
switch.

I have a Broadcom GigE NIC in my home desktop machine.  It's currently
only running at 100Mbps/hdx until I get the new switch and a GigE card
for my server however I've not experienced any performance issues with
it thus far.  Saying that though I don't use ftp between machines at
home, only out to the Internet where of course my DSL is the limiting
factor.

Consider you have poor performance on your 8.0 machines too (albeit not
to the same extent) my first port of call would be the NIC's config on
the linux boxes and AS400 and the switch ports.  e.g. are they all set
to 100fdx, auto-neg, etc.

Stu