[Klug-general] Slow FTP in SuSE9.0

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Fri Dec 3 17:13:32 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 16:35 +0000, Kevin Groves wrote:

> Stuart Buckland wrote:
> > Daft question but... have you checked the stats and port config on the
> > switch.
> All appears ok execept that the AS400 FDX light isnt on but even if
> that's the problem (which is a problem on its own) it doesnt account
> for the problem of the two SUSE versions taking differnt times to run
> an FTP.
>
> My 9.0 box took about 18-20hrs to FTP around 2gb of data while my 8.0
> box is currently comming in at 2hrs for just over 1.5gb so far. Not
> quite right. I will check to see if I have this kind of problem at
> home with the same distro, but I've not noticed it and I've been
> slinging large anims/frame data across my network recently.
>
> It's looking to be the NIC so I've got an update to the driver which
> is a year on from the one with the distro and will try that. If still
> no joy then I'll sling in a Netgear which I've never had a problem
> with.
>
> Kev,

Chances are you may find it is the same problem affecting both machines
just to a greater degree on the 9.0 box.  For example I regularly
transfer files between 1 and 2GB between my desktop and my storage
server at home (most videos), I can transfer a 2GB file in approx 5
minutes.  2hrs is extroadinarily excessive.  There is something really
wrong with that.

There is nothing fancy or clever in my network at home, as stated before
it's simply running 100hdx with a dumb hub, not even a switch at this
time.

I have no idea what underlying network you run, I'm assuming ethernet
and I'm assuming at least 100hdx if not 100fdx or GigE.

stu