[Klug-general] Slow FTP in SuSE9.0

Enquiries enquiries at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 18:34:43 GMT 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 17:12, Stuart Buckland wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 16:35 +0000, Kevin Groves wrote:
> > Stuart Buckland wrote:
> > > Daft question but... have you checked the stats and port config on the
> > > switch.
> >
> > All appears ok execept that the AS400 FDX light isnt on but even if
> > that's the problem (which is a problem on its own) it doesnt account
> > for the problem of the two SUSE versions taking differnt times to run
> > an FTP.
> >
> > My 9.0 box took about 18-20hrs to FTP around 2gb of data while my 8.0
> > box is currently comming in at 2hrs for just over 1.5gb so far. Not
> > quite right. I will check to see if I have this kind of problem at
> > home with the same distro, but I've not noticed it and I've been
> > slinging large anims/frame data across my network recently.
> >
> > It's looking to be the NIC so I've got an update to the driver which
> > is a year on from the one with the distro and will try that. If still
> > no joy then I'll sling in a Netgear which I've never had a problem
> > with.
> >
> > Kev,
>
> Chances are you may find it is the same problem affecting both machines
> just to a greater degree on the 9.0 box.  For example I regularly
> transfer files between 1 and 2GB between my desktop and my storage
> server at home (most videos), I can transfer a 2GB file in approx 5
> minutes.  2hrs is extroadinarily excessive.  There is something really
> wrong with that.
>
> There is nothing fancy or clever in my network at home, as stated before
> it's simply running 100hdx with a dumb hub, not even a switch at this
> time.
>
> I have no idea what underlying network you run, I'm assuming ethernet
> and I'm assuming at least 100hdx if not 100fdx or GigE.
>
> stu

in my opinion i would check two things:

* check any routers/switches hubs for collisions, if so then check cables
etc... and maybe change network cards to stop them (some makes are just crap
via?)

* if no collisions then look at port activity or at the back of the machine,
the activity light should flickering damn fast when transferring data if
everything is working ok. if not change the network cards used.

I have had a similar problems using FTP and samba on a lan. The causes were:

*via onboard network cards are crap -> replaced with 3com and the problem went
away
* old d-link hub was knackered -> replaced and the problem went away.

Also check the duplex states of the cards, one could be in full duplex and the
other in half duplex.