[Klug-general] Slow FTP in SuSE9.0

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 19:26:32 GMT 2004

Stuart Buckland wrote:

>server at home (most videos), I can transfer a 2GB file in approx 5
>minutes.  2hrs is extroadinarily excessive.  There is something really
>wrong with that.

It's very fast, perhaps the same as yours, for transfer between various
Linux boxes, but it's this 2 hours coming from the AS400. This is
perhaps due to a possible duplex problem I have with it and that the OS
applies some throttling.

Now the network is getting a bit more under control - no upgrades for
around two years due to other issues - I'm finding a number of
performance problems with the AS400 which I wasnt involved in when the
machine was installed. But there you go. :-)

Just checked on my LAN here. 92mb file in 15s at work, on the machine
causing me problems, that would have taken over 22m and perhaps,
depending on network load between my other boxes the same as mine here.
So I know now it's not something strange with 9.0 but possibly the
card/driver. OK the AS400 has it's problems but it shouldnt be *that*
different between 8.0 and 9.0!

I'm working over Christmas this yeare and it's only at month end I do
such large transfers so while I'm in I'll put  another card in but I
will problably try the newer driver before then.

>I have no idea what underlying network you run, I'm assuming ethernet
>and I'm assuming at least 100hdx if not 100fdx or GigE.

100 full duplex. This box is my first with a gig card in it.

Kev,