[Klug-general] Fwd: Using Linux (Fedora Core 1)

Philippe Yates philippe.yates at franciscans.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 13:24:53 GMT 2004

At the Franciscan International Study Centre we have switched over almost
exclusively to using SuSE 9.2. Not a lot of investigation went into it - SuSe
8.1 simply happened to be the first version of Linux I came across and I
found that I could use it and didn't see why we should pay money for what
could be done using Open Source software. We have been upgrading as new
distributions come out. Now that the students and staff here (we have ~ 30
computers on the system) are used to it everything works well.
However, we did need to use Debian to install the library management software
Koha - there were simply too many things that needed to be fixed and there
was a simple manual written for how to do this on Debian.
None of us here are hackers or trained in computing but we do get some support
from the University of Kent computer department (a couple of hours a month).

I hope this helps.

On Thursday 16 Dec 2004 00:22, Peter wrote:
> Mandrake  2 votes
> SUSE        1
> Ubuntu      1
> Gentoo      1
> Fedora      0
>
> Are there any more nominations or votes?
>
> I agree there are good reasons for switching to Linux but it is a
> massive project and I  need a fully operational system. I'll give it
> another go.
>
> Thanks for the responses,
> Peter.

___________________