[Klug-general] Distro Wars

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Dec 17 13:35:01 GMT 2004

Fedora core offers two major benefits.

Stable, integrated and tested source. It all works together nicely, no
over configuration (i.e. building from tarball) required.

Six month release schedules, updates with yum which offers the very best
in dag,fresh,new,at etc for all the add ons you want. All built for FC.

Take a for instance...

I install FC3, pretty standard gnome install, I add extra repo's in for
yum. Then i start installing the mustaves;

yum install j2re mozilla-j2re gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio gstreamer-
plugins-extra-video gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd swfdec mozilla-swfdec
mozilla-totem inkscape ximian-artwork gnome-themes-extra etc........

Then I've got, java, DVD/DivX/Mp3 playback, flash/shockwave.

What more do you need?

But I would like to get a red carpet style interface to yum. This would
increase brownie points lots (up2date is pretty g4y)

Karl,