[Klug-general] Distro Wars

Athon Solo athon at athon.me.uk
Fri Dec 17 14:01:09 GMT 2004

Debian Testing for me, Up to date packages. Never had any problems.
Excellent community.

I was running SuSE for quite a while but it has a number of issues (like
the way the veterans laugh at you when you start a query with something
like "I've just upgraded from version x to version y and...".

I haven't found anything else that comes close to Debian yet. Gentoo
might if I could be bothered with the compile times - but the only
things I compile at the moment are my kernel, nvidia drivers, apache,
php (4 & 5) and xchat - plus anything I'm messing about with (currently
Planeshift). Firefox and Thunderbird get installed via their own
installers, as do Crossover Office, Zend Studio and my games (currently
installed are Doom 3, UT2004, Quake 3 and GTKRadiant (map editor)).

I've tried LFS - which was an excellent learning experiance IMO.

I tried Mandrake ages ago - that was nice, but at the time I was looking
at alternative distro's Mandrake was killing CD drives and I didn't feel
like risking mine.

Haven't tried Ubuntu - that just seems like a Debian clone to me and has
yet to be proven in any way. I keep hearing about problems with Fedora -
especially related to Crossover Office as well as other applications -
which puts me off trying that.

If I get an AMD 64 I may go for Gentoo.

Allen Brooker