[Klug-general] Distro Wars

Peter peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 22:20:46 GMT 2004

                     For     Against
Mandrake              7
SUSE                  2
Ubuntu                1         1
Gentoo                2         1
Fedora                1         2
Debian                2
Novell Desktop        1

Many thanks to everyone who has responded to my queries.

The poll was fun and shows that Mandrake is the most recommended for
beginners so I'm picking up a copy of version 10.1 tomorrow.

Unless I strike lucky with the printer on Mandrake I think I'll let
Father Christmas sort it. (I hope!!!!!!!). I've installed Windows
versions of Mozilla and OpenOffice on friends computers as well as the
Windows side of my machine so I can get round the problem.

One last question - if my machine is an i686, is that compatible with
i686_64 or are they completely different. It seems to be a major
weakness of Linux that it's so dependent on chip architecture.

Peter.