[Klug-general] Book for total newbie?

George Prowse cokehabit2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 21:26:35 GMT 2004

Chris Wigzell wrote:

> Hi!
> I am Chris Wigzell, a retired person.  I am mainly a lurker on this
> newsgroup, and have not yet managed to get Linux running fully on my
> computer. I have SuSe 9.1 (a free DVD), but need to install a driver
> for my modem.  I have the driver, but have failed to work out how to
> install it.  Can anyone recommend a small, simple (and cheap, I am a
> pensioner) book that will help me to do the kind of things you lot
> seem to be able to do without any effort at all?
> I will try to come to the next meeting (Where is it? Maidstone?) and
> bring my computer, but I would prefer to learn how to do things myself.
> Regards,
> Chris

If you get "Linux for Dummies" It comes with a Fedora dvd and starts you
off  at the very beginning, tarballs, tum, rpm, deb etc etc. I bought
mine from Waterstones in Maidstone and it was £20, it comes in handy all
the times.

Installing things from source can be trickier than imagines (ask anyone
who used slackware before swaret) because you run into whats commonly
known as "dependency hell", what that is is when the program you
installed needs another to run, and that program needs another, and that
one...... and so on and so on, I use Gentoo and its package management
"Portage" (which is based on BSD's  "ports"  reguarly  downloads 4 or 5
programs when i just wanted one, these are the dependencies.

To install tarballs (*.tar.gz and *.tgz are gzipped tarballs and
*.tar.bz2 is a bzipped tarball) all you to is download the tarball
(obviously) open a terminal, navigate to where you downloaded it to
(which is normally /home/<whatever user you created> and type (for bzip)
"tar -xvjpf  NameOfTarball.tar.bz2" or if its a .gz type "tar -xvzf
NameOfTarball.tar.gz. Both of these have similar options associated with
them:

        "tar" is the name of the program to use,
        "x" is extract,
        "v" is for verbose output (not really needed but nice),
        "f" make it operate on a specific file,
        "j" tells it to use bzip2,
        "z" tells it to use gzip,
        "p" tell it not to store relative path name but instead to store
absoloute path names

After it is all extracted navigate to the folder it made and run these:

./configure
make
make install

or if you are feeling adventurous add them all in one command:
"./configure && make && make install"

Or if you are feeling more adventurous add some gcc optimisations in
with it, for example: CLAGS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer pipe" ./configure
&& make && make install

I can suggest a few other things though, i'd join the Linux Junior forum
http://www.linuxjunior.org/ and ask some questions in there, it is full
of people who are having trouble at the start and is very friendly, they
also have an off-topic forum and plain english tutorials.

By far the best site i have come across for linux beginners is
http://www.tuxfiles.org/ and she there goes into more depth on the
installing that i showed above
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html

Sites: