[Klug-general] Re:Setting up modem

George Prowse cokehabit2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 18:50:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 17:42 +0000, Chris Wigzell wrote:
> Evening All!
> I am grateful for the help towards getting my modem to work at the
> January meeting, but I was abroad when the next one came and I am still
> modemless.
> Back at home, following the install instructions I got to 'make clean'.
>   That was OK.
> Then when I tell it to  'make 536', as the install instructions say, I
> get 'autoconf.h does not exist.'

"Make 536" just sounds like its telling it to make some part of the
installation as in "make install"

> By the way, does anyone have knowledge of the 'Onspeed' internet
> accelerator for dial-up, and will it work with Mozilla in Linux or
> Windows?  I know you all have broadband, but when abroad I cant get
> broadband, and I am not there long enough for it to be worthwhile.

Well all these accellerators do is create multiple connections to a
remote server so say for example that you were accessing one of the
sites that i help run like www.ihate.org.uk, all it would do is create 5
connnections at different intervals to ihate and overlap them so that
instead of seeing the speed going from 6kb/s to 3.5kb/s it stays at
6kb/s. Some of these programs work slightly differently.  Sometimes it
will be done from the servers of the download accellerators website to
ensure you get a constant stream and to make sure that the people with
the site dont get annoyed when they see 1 ip address access content 5
times at any one time, so that way your 5 connections are to the servers
of the download accellerator.
--
George Prowse
http://cokehabit.homelinux.org