[Klug-general] [Fwd: Re: Linux]

George Prowse cokehabit2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 19:21:08 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 19:52 +0000, mwooi wrote:
> At 19:00 24/01/2005, you wrote:
>
> As I am new to all this, where do I go to see and amend the script as
> shown below in terms of dual booting

the grub.conf is just in /boot/grub To get there via a GUI find a file
manager (ROX, Konqueror, Nautilus) and keep pressing up until you cant
go any further. Now you are in / (root) look for boot, then go in there
and look for grub, go in there and you should see grub.conf. the easy
way is to go to the command line and type "nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf"
or if you prefer vi or vim to nano, use that.

> Would running XP create additional diffculties?

Not at all, I have done it for a long time and as long as my university
needs work in proprietary formats then i dont have much choice.

> When the GUI appears how do I run the command line?

Theres a few ways, Alt-F1 will whack you out of the GUI and to the cli
but by far the easiest way is to open up a terminal (aterm, Eterm,
gnome-terminal, xterm, rxvt, urxvt, urxvt-unicode) which is a graphical
emulation of your computers actual command line interface.

> I installed it with myself as the administrator and yet it does not
> allow me to move things around, create directories etc?
> I want to set up the driver for my belkin wireless on the pc, I have
> located a driver wrapper on the internet to enable me to convert the
> window driver to linux. The problem is I am unable to tar the driver
> as I do not have the means of typing the commands to point to the
> directory where the driver is. Please help

It sounds to me as if you have created a user and an administrator but
you are signing in as the user, try entering "su" (switch user) and your
password and see if that does it. If not there is an administrative
trick where if you press c to edit the grub command line whilst its
booting up and add a space to the end of the line, that will boot up
with administrative privileges. Once you have administrative priviliges
create a user for yourself by using "useradd <name> -t -G
users,wheel,audio"

Hope that helped

George