[Klug-general] Slax and webmin

Athon Solo athon at athon.me.uk
Wed Jan 26 10:14:26 GMT 2005

My general view of webmin is that it's a tool for people who can't be
bothered to learn how to admin their servers properly. I can see  the
point of 'web control panels' for hosting setups where the administrator
wants to give users some access to information on their setups, but
Webmin, IMHO has turned into a 'god tool' (something that does
everything, breaking the general *nix practice of small tools for
specific jobs), and encourages people to play with things they probably
shouldn't be playing with (in its default setup).

As Karl said, if you know how to install AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) then
it shouldn't be hard to create a static install. For config files you
should be able to mostly leave it on the defaults.

Full installation instructions for all of these products is available in
their respective manuals in a 'strp-by-step' way that (I find) easy to
follow.

If you have any specific problems, post them with any errors you're
getting, any relevent configuration information and a description of
what is happening and what you were expecting to happen, and we'll have
a go at solving your problem.

Allen