[Klug-general] Slax and webmin

Paul Littlefield paul.littlefield at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 26 11:33:48 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 26 Jan 2005 10:25, Athon Solo wrote:
> My general view of webmin is that it's a tool for people who can't be
> bothered to learn how to admin their servers properly. I can see  the
> point of 'web control panels' for hosting setups where the administrator
> wants to give users some access to information on their setups, but
> Webmin, IMHO has turned into a 'god tool' (something that does
> everything, breaking the general *nix practice of small tools for
> specific jobs), and encourages people to play with things they probably
> shouldn't be playing with (in its default setup).

Agreed... Webmin is nice, but proceed with caution. I have it installed just
in case I forget how to 'makemap hash' (!) or which Sendmail configuration
file for domain routing, etc.

Always try and do things the manual way first:

1. Read the 'man' page
2. Take a backup of the configuration file
3. Change something
4. See whether it works.

However, if it doesn't work by hand, use the Webmin module to get it working,
and view the configuration file to see how you should have typed it!

:-)

--
PAULLY
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Paul+Littlefield