[Klug-general] Slax and webmin

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Wed Jan 26 20:40:05 GMT 2005

Athon Solo wrote:

> My general view of webmin is that it's a tool for people who can't be
> bothered to learn how to admin their servers properly. I can see  the
> point of 'web control panels' for hosting setups where the administrator
> wants to give users some access to information on their setups, but
> Webmin, IMHO has turned into a 'god tool' (something that does
> everything, breaking the general *nix practice of small tools for
> specific jobs), and encourages people to play with things they probably
> shouldn't be playing with (in its default setup).

I use Webmin almost daily for certain tasks, and find it extremely
useful, eg I do my Cyrus admin this way.

Webmin is modular, and the quality of the modules varies enormously.
Some are excellent, like the IMAP Admin module, and some will break
things before you've realised what it's done.

Try the various modules and uninstall the cr*p ones!

Regards,

Laurence Southon