[Klug-general] web editing woes

frank attwood frank_attwood at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:40:36 BST 2005

What pay for hotmail are you mad, it's a free service, oh no hang on it's a
subsidary of Mr Gates incopratated :-)

Your about the Gimp it is cool and does nearlly everything (apart from CMYK
and spot colours). It's more th case of learning it. I konw photoshop really
well and can work really fast on it, so the gimp is a bit slow to start
with.

Bluefish is no good to me, to much handcoding. Cssed however was a genius
suggestion. It's extremely cool and should help make light work of the
monterous mambo style sheets.

I'm away for work now for a week. When i get back i'll sort you out a screen
shot and try to remember what i did to get evolution and exchange working.

dan

Fri, 2005-07-22 at 09:59 +0000, frank attwood wrote:
>Well i've finally taken the plunge and installed a full linux desktop here
>at work. I'm now running Mandriva 2005 with two screens and VMware with
>Windows 2000 - to lessen the shock.
>Surprisingly I've not gone into a lack of Photoshop induced coma, although
Photoshop ain't the issue, gimp does everything it does apart from layer
styles. Its easier to use imho and just as good.

>it is on the VM for when only Photoshop will do.
>I even managed to got my Axim to synce to the VM - very useful
>
>However the problems I do have would would like some advice on our
>
>1 - Which WYSIWYG web editor do i use. I've tryed NVU, Screem and Quanta
>and they all suck compared to Dreamweaver. I'm currently building a site
>using Mambo CMS and ,not being able to hand code, Dreamweaver is paying for
>itself daily. None of the ones i've tryed seem to like PHP

Bluefish is good, gphpedit and cssed may also be handy for you. Also
take your time to harass macromedia to produce a native linux port of
dreamweaver, I've sent a number of disapointed/abusive emails to them to
try and get the message across, I know that there are another 50 or so
of us that do that sort of thing regularly.

>2 - I've got Evolution hooked upto my exchange server fine. However when
>ever i try to edit any of the shared calenders it locks up. Does anyone
>have a solution for this?
I can't even seem to access (view) shared calendars on my exchange
server, if you can help me get this working then I can help you get the
lockup fixed.

>3 - Is there a way to pipe hotmail into Evolution or some other mail
>program or is this really impossible?

No! Hotmail provides pop IF you pay for it! You could always write
libcurl/xml parser that would redirect the html parsed emails into a pop
server but i think that breaks the MSN terms of service. If you wrote
that, there would be millions of people wanting a copy so GPL if you do
it!

>4 - why on earth does my system tray panel insist on going wonky and
>putting loads of space between the icons every so often so that I have to
>keep scrolling it?

Send me a screen shot and i'll see if I can understand you a little
better.