[Klug-general] Ubuntu and Kabuntu

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Tue Jun 21 20:26:20 BST 2005

> Unfortunately not everyone is as good as you. Sucess rate for these
> sorts of things have to be at least 99.9% not ~40%

Seriously show me an instance of a piece of software which hasn't
already been built for rh/suse or has a spec available, or isn't too
difficult to write a spec? I agree that back in the days of rh 3.x ->
7 there were major issues and (upto suse 8), rh8 didn't fix it but it
made them go away, 9 has the new spanky rpm and fc4 has a swanky one,
the majority of build issues have dissolved and packages can be built
nightly without breaking in 99.9% ~ .2% of the time. So ner ner, I
like rpm and it is better than deb!

> An RPM spec builder can't say that package A requires some version
> of package B, where the version is greater that 2.0 but less than
> 3.0, and not version 2.3. In fact, you can't specify that any
> version less than 2.0 is acceptable.

Yes but do you want duplicate packages? gtk-1.2 and gtk-2 what if you
want to delete gtk-2 but not gtk-1.2 and you don't realise you have
gtk-1.2 installed, so its easy just to call it gtk2-2.x because that
way A) you are reminded that there are legacy apps which still use
gtk1 and B) you can completely separate them and have them run nicely
co-existively. by saying requires gtk+ >= 1.2 or gtk2 >= 2.4 means
you don't have the need for complex dependencies, and admittedly in
the past some packagers fell over with this but its now easy to see
past it.

> As a result of weak dependency management, package builders either
> choose the simplest dependency possible, or build their own complex
> dependency rules into RPM. However, no matter how nice your RPM
> dependencies are specified, the whole system can fail if just one
> package you depend on has a bad dependency specification. In short,
> RPM dependencies are fragile.
>
> RPM packages are monolithic. That is to say, the package
> specifications are part of the entire package. Why is this a
> problem? Because to be able to resolve dependency trees, you have
> to have access to all of the packages in the tree. Here is the main
> failure of RPM: you can't get intelligent queries out of it. The O
> () number of packages you need to query any dependency tree is all
> of the RPM packages in the entire world.

Do you need to do intelligent queries? Dependencies are best put as
keep it simple, or else other problems arise, but having said that
you don't want to say package b requires package a and c when in fact
having package a implies this. Its just a waste of time, headers
provide masses of data about packages without needing the packages
installed downloaded or otherwise available. The issue now is to
resolve packaging issues by means of employing a repository ala apt/
yum that way you have access to tried and tested working packages
within a repository which is rebuilt whenever there is a new release,
no more messing about.

BTW deb's are also monolithic, they do not include the whole tree of
dependencies and therefore are simply almost the same as RPM in that
respect. So you still haven't given a single reason why deb is
_BETTER_ than rpm you've just slated rpm?

>>> RPM is just another example of good idea, bad execution.
>>>

>> imho RPM has better (please excuse the executive bullshit) more
>> market
>> penetration than deb because, shock! its better! Unless you can
>> think of
>> another reason why redhat, turbolinux, suse and many others use
>> it. Also
>> remember that the only two well adopted enterprise distro's of linux
>> suse 9.3 ent and rhel both use rpm.
>>
>> What wins out then for package management,
>>
>> deb & apt
>> rpm & apt
>> rpm & yum
>> rpm & rc
>> rpm & up2date
>> ???
>> emerge is cool, but its hardly the same as either deb or rpm so don't
>> bring that boy into the debate.
>>

> I'm not bringing emerge into this, Portage would always come out on
> top
> because:
> 1. API compatibility across packages is very common, but by not
> building
> these yourselves you can often break ABI compability. It means, that a
> single package can be easily upgraded without having to upgrade
> anything
> else which compiled against it (most of the time).
> 2. The ability to draw in/out dependancies based on true requirements
> using USE flags. it will depend and build against say, kerberos, but
> equally doesnt need to.

I know its a better architechture, I said it was cool, i wasn't
slating it, but you are bringing it into the conversation i admit it
fucking rocks BUT! you're building everything? from source so you
have great advantages, and great disadvantages, its all about
balance. Servers you want packages you know work, have been tested
have (sometimes obscure) security fixes in place weeks sometimes
months before they come out of CVS. Desktops well I'd rather use
something that someone else has built and tested before I put it on
my box.

> But apt would usually come out on top. I dont blame Red Hat, some
> of its
> problems are from the LSB (the LSB is part of Red Hats problem
> though).
>
> LSB: Another good idea badly handled.

Agreed but its f*ck all to do with rpm, and hey its better than (un)
united linux which i believe has crumbled after some in fighting.
Remember that LSB is a simple set of standards so systems can be
inter-compatible for things like initscripts and such like, not a
cartel of linux distributers who are angry at the linux share that
redhat has and wants a piece of the pie.

The simple fact here is that deb vs rpm is a moot point, rpm has got
better market penetration and is more widely adopted. The deb
community in general is slipping away, they have managed to make a
release this year so did apple, redhat, fedora and sun? Microsoft is
still nowhere to be seen and missing most of the tech they promised
instead touting the usual bullshit about security, stability and
reliability i think its their mantra now.

The simple fact is, RPM has made it incredibly easy to run servers
throughout the world, suse/novell and redhat/ibm and many others have
benefitted from it, whereas deb has produced an almost impossible to
sell distro because of their attitude toward non gpl software, this
makes it harder to support from a hardware vendors perspective, they
trail behind on patches and updates because they even struggle to
release a distro. Deb is completely out dated and is difficult to
maintain, and build new distributions out of.

RPM/Anaconda has been a vital tool, in places where there has been a
mass install of redhat/fedora (a number of US universities and other
institutions) they have found it easy to custom build their install
CD's update their install CD's, build kickstarts for unattended
installs with custom install cd's, maintain a package repository to
speed up yum transactions and maintain versioning throughout an
organisation.  These are all very important achievements of RPM/
anaconda, deb has been left by the wayside as a result of the way
their community is run.

So from my point of view, as a linux user, systems administrator,
programmer and general geek, rpm serves my needs, has better support
is more widely available and pretty easy to use, and I get to use
gnome 2.10 without much work i.e. putting a CD in and pressing the
big upgrade button. A few days pass and the bleeding edge distro is
even more bleeding edge and about a week from now I'll have gstreamer
with DVD menu's in totem, how long will it take deb to get that?
WITHOUT BUILDING IT FROM SOURCE!

Not everyone wants to build a package from source when it doesn't
work, or its not available, for me that is a last resort. rpm/yum and
anaconda serve the needs of many. Me included I don't find the
problems you mention, as inhibiting factors. I find apart from the
odd nuisance of it rpm serves my needs and keeps things ship shape.

k,