[Klug-general] Ubuntu and Kabuntu

Enquiries enquiries at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 21:02:19 BST 2005

my 2p...

RPM although invented by redface they is a good idea and great for
administration of lots of servers offering standard services.

in my opinion people only prefer debs because they prefer debs based distros,
at the end of the day they do the same thing. I have never seen a debs system
break yet, but have had RPM databases lockup and get corrupted too often.
Have you ever had your version of RPM remove itself, its great fun all you
have to do is install the "rpm" rpm , but you cant as you don't have the rpm
database installed any more.... :-)

I was a SuSE addict until YaST started taking over the system and you had to
configure your services the YaST/SuSE way. I prefer slackware but only
because it has a small footprint and customise it without breaking
installers/configs/package managers (not really any of these to begin with),
I sell/use/recommend other distros depending on the users skill and
application.

Installing from source is the way to go if you are doing anything non
standard. If you aren't you are just giving yourself more work when that zero
day exploit gets published for one of your packages.