[Klug-general] Re: [Gllug] Monitoring network usage

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 16 18:46:05 BST 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 10:36, Simon Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 10:34 +0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I use my Linux box as a gateway machine for the rest of my network and
> > am
> > connected to an ADSL router through eth0. Is there any way to monitor
> > the
> > bandwidth utilisation across eth0?
>
> ntop is very nice for this type of thing

I installed ntop this afternoon from an rpm, configured it, saw how it worked,
and then rebooted to get it working from bootup. And then my trouble started!
I had an isp number [80-42-149-**] but was totally unable to get any other
internet access, no email, not even able to acess google. So I disabled ntop,
restarted the network and still no internet access. Logged out of my user
account and then logged into the root a/c. Disabled the firewall, still able
to access my modem [D-link 300ST] and still have the same isp number.

Rebooted, and back into user a/c, but still no internet access for any thing.

Rang D-link, they asked me to press the 'start' button at the bottom left of
the screen, so I explained that I was using linux ....... and that threw the
operator. Eventually they decided that they couldn't help me, as I'd already
done everything that they had suggested to their modem.

So, back to fiddling, uninstalled ntop, and eventually regained internet
access after trying everything that I'd already done as root, but obviously I
hadn't got the right combination.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, if I was to reinstall ntop, does it do
something to the iptables firewall which could block my internet access
if/and when I reboot again please? Or was my sorry saga just a one-off blip?

Sharon.
--
 18:25:41 up 18 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.10, 1.29, 1.04
A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html