[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 23:55:14 BST 2006

On 19/04/06, Karl Lattimer <karl at nncc.info> wrote:

> > It will be fun getting Gentoo Linux on there, and ofcourse I will be
> making copious notes as I go...
> >

> You sure you wanna stress the processor with that much compiling, I
> honestly can't see the point of gentoo myself. Its too hackish to be
> useful IMHO, ubuntu, suse and fedora are much more popular because they
> don't take 2 days to install properly.
>
> But hey, if you wanna go down that route, then its your choice.

People seem to misunderstand Gentoo and the compiling process, only
processors that are faulty would have any problem with the compilations,
processor's designs have to complete stress tests before being made and
leaving the factory which is far in excess of any stress made with everyday
compilation.

Gentoo is about choice, choosing how you want your system to be built and
how you want it to work and as such it is only for the enthusiast and
professional. If you like tinkering about with your system and learning how
everything works then it is great but for those who dont it is not worth the
trouble. If you like everything to "just Work"(tm) then either use Windows
or Mandriva. On the other hand gentoo and it's "hardened" project is used
extensively for mission critical servers because of the ability to
streamline it's deployment to suit any job.