[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Thu Apr 20 15:48:12 BST 2006

> How does spending money harden a system? Sure real hardening can only
> be achieved by tons of people blackhat hacking a box and finding
> problems and then tons of people whitehat hacking a box to try fix the
> problems. As also of course by constantly locating and fixing bugs and
> running older more stable code.

When you have people like Nat Friedman, Dave Reveman etc... working for
you the money you spend is directly proportional to the quality of the
work. Plus, project management, and an ACTUAL DIRECTION of what you are
trying to achieve works wonders, as opposed to community projects which
is like a blind man in a brothel.

> Case in point is Windows which has more money, time and skill spent on
> it then probably any other OS and would you call it hardened?

Let me correct you there, has more money spent on marketing, under
skilled grads with a 3:1 who aren't very good programmers, only around
700 actual developers etc.... 5000 odd lawyers, 2000 odd middle
managers...

Do you get the point?

> And lets stop the gentoo bashing. Sure compiling the latest firebox
> build over 2 days isn't everyones cup of tea but that's why there's
> Mandriva, Ubuntu and the like for those that want an easy life and Red
> Hat and Suse for those that want a little bit of tinkering - It's Open
> Source it's all about choice.

I wasn't bashing it, I was voicing my opinion. Its the anally retentive
users who think I'm making a personal complaint against them.

K,